Although the EMG-85 has more measurable output than the 81, its frequency response and string interface are different. The 85 uses two Alnico magnet loaded coils with a wide aperture to maintain a beefy lowend and a fatter top end. Because of a more natural tone, it works great as a rhythm and blues pickup because it has loads of output but isn’t muddy. Itís a perfect choice as a rhythm pickup in combination with an 81 in the bridge, which is the same pickup combination used by Zakk Wylde.
- Closed aperture coils with Alnico V magnets
- Ideal for rhythm position
- Package Includes: EMG’s exclusive Quik-Connect cable, prewired split shaft volume/tone control set, output jack, battery clip set, screws & springs.
- Most often used in the rhythm position, the alnico magnets of this model provide a muscular growl and smooth lead tones to enable you to play the muddiest of blues to the most extreme metal
- Try it in the bridge position for exceptional smoothness and soul